"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

My mom is great and I really miss her. I hope she's having a good day. :) Here is a poem I wrote for her as her Mother's Day card.


What I Got From My Mom


Pretty sky-blue eyes, a perfectly round face,
short legs that make it easy to
fit comfortably in small places,
Quinn-feet that Dad calls flat and fat,
but which I happen to think look super cute
in their size six and a half summer sandals!

 

Baby-fine hair that's thin and soft,
hard to grow out but easy to dry.
Pale Irish skin, lots of freckles,
and of course that infamous Quinn pooch,
which gives me an incentive
to go the gym and keep up with my crunches!

A face that always looks younger than I am,
thanks to seemingly wrinkle-free skin and some miracle
from above that she must have passed down to me.
A cute little nose and a big cheeky grin,
a face that clearly lights up or shuts down
depending on what my heart is feeling or my mind is thinking. 
An emotional and sensitive disposition,
a sometimes sudden spontaneity and love of everything fun.
A sense of humor and the ability to laugh
at whatever happens in life, even when it's hard.
And of course a sense of personal responsibility--
she refused to ever help me wake up in the morning!


A shared love of books, music and creative pursuits,
and the occasional tear-jerker or romantic comedy.
The knowledge that family is important,
worth cherishing and keeping close to my heart,
and that relationships are more important
than money, possessions, or anything else in life.


Encouragement, support, a listening and understanding ear.
And love, from head to toe, inside and out,
which I felt as a baby and at every age since,
which surrounds me in everything I do,
and for which I feel very grateful,
today on Mother’s Day, and every day.



HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY, MOM. I LOVE YOU. :-)
<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment