"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost


Monday, April 25, 2011

Start of NWM Training Program!

Today was Day 1 of my training for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, in October.  My sister and I just signed up for it.  There's a lottery system and we only get in if our group is pulled (we are in a group of about 300 people, which I was invited to join by a co-worker who is also in the group). If we don't get in, we'll just run another marathon around that time.  But hopefully we'll get in!

I'd been running 2.5 to 3 miles a day a few times a week with my big dog Venus. Part of it was with my little dog Katie, before Katie got hit by a car last week and required surgery, from which she is still healing and may never totally heal enough to run. :-( I had just started interspersing speed and hill intervals and some pace runs, as well as weights. So my new plan has me starting off at 3.5 miles, which I ran today. I ran along the ditch bank near Candelaria, with my dog Venus. I'll increase the distance every week from there, until I'm running 5 to 6 miles regularly, as well as a long run each week, and I will vary the workouts such as hills, speed, pace and tempo.  I also plan to do weights and cross-training. I have a Garmin GPS stopwatch to track my distance, time and pace, but at the moment (and for some time!) I'm not able to find its charger, and it's one of those picky chargers that can't be replaced with a USB cord or phone charger. So for now I'm estimating my distance based on time/feeling. It took me 40 minutes.

Our goal is to be in the best shape ever on October 16th.  Go us!  (Bikini, here I come). I'm at least 25 pounds overweight, so, I have a long way to go, but over 6 months to get there.
(This image is most likely copyright Nike Women's Marathon)









Other than for starting my training program, today was relatively uneventful. At work I found out that two of my small (metro/magistrate court) cases are set for trial in May. My BFF Jessica's car broke down so I took her to the car place -- I'm crossing my fingers for her that it's nothing major!! I took my dog Katie to her physical therapy appointment where they removed her catheter and told me she is making great process (it's been a week and a day since she was hit; she had pelvis surgery on Wednesday, and I brought her home on Friday).  Her disposition and attitude is pretty much back to its normal content, perky, low-key self, which makes me very happy!!!, but she can't stand on her right legs yet at all. I'm supposed to "walk" her with her sling/harness out to the yard to pee. Today it didn't go so well, as she didn't pee outside (she did eat a lot of weeds) but a short while after I brought her in, she peed on the floor.  Good thing it's tile! I just hope she gets the hang of it soon.  I'm considering posting a photo of her when I first brought her home or in the vet hospital, but it's very depressing.  I was sure she was a goner and I can't believe how well she's doing everyday. It's a lot of work-- meds, exercises, first changing her catheter and now taking her outside in her condition, physical therapy/electromagnetic treatment at home, taking her to the vet hospital for progress check-ups, etc... but I'm thinking it's really worth it since she is recovering so well.  Here are a couple pictures, from yesterday (she sure perked up on Easter, so she must have known it was a day to celebrate a new season and new beginnings!):


She was never a lapdog to begin with, but she's been letting me hold her on my lap and bounce her as if she's running, which the vet says is a good exercise for her legs. Here's to Katie's continued recovery. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment