"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~Robert Frost


Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 3/3 of NWM Training

Today I ran almost three miles with my good friend Carey (2.83 according to her Evo). It took us 32 minutes, which is an 11 minute per mile pace. I realized how very out of shape I am - she kicked my butt! ;) I need to keep running with her for the challenge!


Me, Carey, Venus and Tux at the Doggie Dash a couple years ago
We ran on the ditch bank near my house and then to some lateral ditches that were hard to maneuver because they were narrow and on the edge of water with tree trunks sticking into the path. We had my dog Venus with me and Carey is like a dog whisperer- she can get Venus to behave, not go after other dogs, not pull her arm off trying to get into the water, etc. I am really trying to learn how to do that because I tend to let Venus run wild.

We went running after work, at about 7, and then we went to Ezra's Place with Carey's friend Darbie (who's a vet and an awesome person--it's the first time I'd met her). Ezra's Place is this little hole-in-the-wall dive (it's actually in a bowling alley, Rt. 66 Bowl) in the North Valley (4th & Montano-ish, across from Smith's).  Carey is in love with their food, especially the fish tacos. I had Ezra's Salad which came with grilled asparagus and avocado, yum. There was an acoustic guitar player who was playing folk versions of the Eagles and other bands. At one point only the three of us were left in the place and he kept asking us for requests and not knowing how to play them (Dave Matthews Band, Counting Crows). He said he had a repertoire of over 19,000 songs and Darbie jokingly said "Not 19,000 cool songs, apparently." It was really fun. Then when the restaurant stopped serving alcohol we moved over to the bar in the bowling alley and Carey was delighted to find a Photo Hunt video machine; she loves that game. (To me both photos always look exactly alike!) Our name for the scoreboard was CarDarTa and I kept saying "Ta isn't really doing much to win these points." ;) 

It was a really nice time and we stayed out (in our running clothes -- Darbie was in her riding clothes because she had just come from the barn) until 11 pm which I hadn't been expecting. I need to spend more time with Katie-dog! It is so hard on the weekdays when I work and then go see friends. I will give her extra time this weekend. It was nice to hang out with Carey, which is a kind of rare thing these days, and to meet Darbie. I need to really keep running hard and watch what I eat-- I think the fact that I'm about 25 pounds overweight has a lot to do with my slow performance on runs! I haven't weighed this much in my whole life! :-( But I'm determined to get into the best shape of my life, ever. :-) Thirty seems to be a good age to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment